Charities and Not For Profits
Our lawyers and staff actively volunteer and are involved in community organizations and charities as senior advisors, directors, and committee members. This, in turn, has provided us with first-hand knowledge of the issues facing these organizations.
Our lawyers represent charities and not-for-profit organizations, from the large nationwide charities and foundations to small community organizations. Our clients include public and private foundations, hospitals, social service organizations, and trade and professional associations.
We provide a full range of legal services for our charity and not-for-profit clients, including:
- incorporation and organization of non-profit organizations
- registration of charities to obtain charitable status
- fundraising issues and charitable giving
- establishment of endowment funds
- governance, policy development and risk management
- directors’ and trustees’ duties and liabilities
- reorganizations, wind-ups and mergers
- defence and administration of charitable bequests
- planned giving
- intellectual property matters
- other legal matters, including labour & employment law, commercial real estate issues, and privacy law
We deliver timely, effective advice and representation to directors, trustees, officers, management, and staff of charities and not-for-profit organizations. We help guide our clients through their obligations under the relevant and ever-changing legislation and help ensure the strategic management of their organizations.